What does Adderall do
For the diagnosis of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Adderall is the most prescribed medicine. It helps the patients by improving concentration and focus. Besides, it is a central nervous system stimulant drug that works on the brain nerves and CNS. Thus, it can have the same effects on a person who does not have ADHD.
When you are taking Adderall for ADHD, or other purposes, you should be aware of the usage guidelines. However, your doctor will guide how to use Adderall properly. Furthermore, your doctor will also help you to learn the effects of Adderall on your body.
Moreover, Adderall enhances the functionality of the central nervous system and brain. It is the main reason for students to use this drug before exams. In recreational or non-medical usage, it improves focus and enables a person to perform better. However, recreational use may cause different harmful effects.
Classifications of Adderall and its available strengths
Adderall is available in different strengths and formulations. This versatility enables a doctor to prescribe the most reliable treatment for ADHD. However, sometimes your doctor may adjust your dosage after analyzing your response to the initial doses of Adderall.
Furthermore, the drug is available in the form of an oral tablet. Thus, doctors advise taking it directly by mouth with enough water. Besides, always stay away from mixing Adderall in alcohol or other drinks, such as orange or lemon juice. Doing this can increase the risks of hazardous side effects and drug addiction.
Ritalin is further categorized in two formulations:
- Adderall instant-release formulation (IR)
- Ritalin extended-release formulation (XR)
Instant-release formulation: This formulation is highly suitable for newbie patients because it only lasts for four hours inside the body. It means that you will feel the effects of Adderall for up to four hours after taking a dose. Besides, the duration might be different for some patients according to their physical/mental condition.
However, other factors that may interrupt with the working of Adderall include:
- The medical and physical condition of the patient
- Other medical symptoms, such as heart, liver, or kidney problems
- Any other drug or health supplement that a patient is using
- MAO inhibitor (in last 14 days mostly)
Furthermore, a person can also identify the strength of the tablet by its physical properties. The FDA approves the colors, shape, and imprints on these tablets. However, the following is a brief description of the available strengths of Adderall:
- Adderall 5 mg: The 5 mg variation comes in round shape and has a white color. The size of this tablet is around 6.00 mm. Moreover, it has an imprint of AD 5 on both of its sides.
- Adderall 7.5 mg: The 7.5 mg Adderall is oval and has a blue color. Besides, it has an imprint of 7.5 on both of its sides.
- Adderall 12.5 mg: Adderall 12.5 mg comes in round shape, which has a yellowish color. Also, it has an imprint of AD 12.5 on both sides of the tablet.
- Adderall 15 mg: The 15 mg strength is oval and has a yellowish color. Besides, it has an imprint of 15 on one of its sides.
- Adderall 20 mg: This strength is round in shape, which has a pale yellow color. Besides, it has written 20 on one side of the tablet.
- Adderall 30 mg: Adderall 30 mg is available in round shape, and it is the highest strength. It comes in off-yellow color and has written AD 30 on its sides.
Extend-release formulation: Doctors prescribe Adderall XR when a patient requires long term effects of treatment. This variation is mostly suitable for patients who can tolerate instant-release formulation. Besides, it provides relief from symptoms of ADHD for up to eight hours after taking the dosage.
Moreover, the duration might be different for some patients according to their physical/mental condition. Thus, consult with a doctor for a better understanding of extended-release formulation.
- Adderall XR 5 mg: It comes as an oral capsule that commonly has two shades, i.e., transparent with blue color. Besides, it has written Adderall XR on the blue part of the capsule. The XR 5 mg is the lowest available strength.
- Adderall XR 10 mg: This strength comes as an oral capsule with a blue color on one side. Besides, it has written Adderall XR on the blue part of the capsule.
- Adderall XR 15 mg: It comes as an oral capsule that commonly has two colors, white with blue. Besides, it has written Adderall XR on the white part of the capsule. The XR 10 mg is the moderate strength of this drug.
- Adderall XR 20 mg: It also comes in the form of an oral capsule that is orange in color. Besides, it has Adderall XR 20 mg written over it.
- Adderall XR 30 mg: It is the highest available strength of extended-release formulation. You can identify it easily because Adderall XR 30 mg is always written on this capsule.
Recreational or non-medical use of Adderall
In recreational usage, Adderall works as a performance enhancer. It stimulates the CNS and enhances alertness. Mostly, college students opt to use this drug to study for exams. It helps them to improve concentration on their studies. However, medical studies do not prove that Adderall improves learning abilities or improves memory. Therefore, consult with an expert to know about the effects of Adderall.
Besides, athletes also use this drug to improve their performance in sports. The remedy helps them to focus on their duties and prepare for eternal. By stimulating CNS, it defeats sleep as well as tiredness. However, recreational use may cause some of the adverse effects of the drug.
Possibility of addiction and withdrawals
Addiction to this drug is possible even while taking it as prescribed. However, prescribed usage has a lower possibility of addiction. But, it may occur when someone is misusing the pills. While having a habit, a person would need to take higher doses to reach the same effects. Thus, it enhances the addiction and makes it severe over time.
The average doses do not provide any relief or have any effects. Therefore, a person is likely to increase the dosage. Besides, halting the treatment while having addiction may lead to withdrawals. These symptoms may develop over time and become severe.
Some of the common withdrawals that may occur after stopping the doses while having an addiction are:
- impaired vision
- loss of coordination
However, inform your doctor if the drug stops working for you. Also, do not stop taking prescribed doses while having drug dependence. In the meantime, ask your doctor how to overcome the addiction and get a healthy life.
Possibility of side effects
Side effects are possible while taking prescribed doses for the first time. In general, they occur due to the altered amounts or misuse of the drug. At directed doses, the instance of adverse effects is least. However, you may still encounter a few side effects while taking doses as directed.
Besides, non-medical use has more risks of side effects and addiction. It depends on the strength and dosage of the drug. Furthermore, it may increase the chances of sedation or euphoria.
While taking Adderall, you may undergo these side effects:
- stomach cramps
- loss of appetite
- loss of libido
- clammy hands
- changes in vision
These drug reactions can be both mild or severe. However, inform your doctor even if you have mild side effects of Adderall. Besides, take precautions to avoid these bad effects of the treatment. For more information, consult with your doctor or healthcare provider.
Adderall VS Ritalin: which medication is better for ADHD
Both Adderall and Ritalin are useful for (ADHD) attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. However, Adderall is one of the most prescribed medications for ADHD. On the other hand, doctors designate Ritalin when the symptoms of ADHD are trivial
However, consult with a doctor to know which drug will be best for you. In most cases, your doctor will perform several tests. It will help him to prescribe the most suitable treatment for ADHD. However, Ritalin may cause respiratory problems at higher doses.
Effects of mixing Adderall with alcohol
Alcohol and Adderall are both sedatives and excite the brain. Thus, do not consume liquor while taking doses of Adderall for ADHD. It may increase the effects of the drug and may also cause an overdose. However, consult with your doctor if you accidentally mix them.
In general, people use alcohol with this drug at clubs and parties. It helps them to create euphoria by increasing the effects of alcohol. However, it may increase the risks of substance use disorder and drug dependence. Therefore, avoid mixing these substances and consult with your doctor for more information.