“SEIZURE – THE UNLAWFUL RELAPSES”
A Seizure of Epilepsy is a sudden and uncontrolled medical condition that is caused due to the unusual disturbance caused in the nerve cell activity of our nervous system. They are quite common; in fact, It’s the fourth most common neurological disease worldwide, with migraines, strokes, and Alzheimer being the top 3.
Numerous types of Seizure vary in both symptoms as well as in severity. They may also go by where they originate in the brain and how far they multiply its cell throughout the body. we can easily hamper the movements or feelings and lead to a chance in the behavior and the consciousness level.
They can happen anytime, be it just right after a stroke or a severe head injury, or an infection such as meningitis. Many times the reason behind it goes unknown.
Most of the Seizure can easily be controlled with the help of proper medical assistance but, it still some way or the other make it quite difficult for one to manage it as it impacts our lives in a pretty significant way.
SYMPTOMS OFF SEIZURES
The seizure signs and symptoms can range from mild to severe and vary depending on the type of Seizure. Seizure signs and symptoms may include:
- Temporary confusion
- Uncontrollable jerking movements of body parts.
- Loss of awareness
- emotional symptoms, such as fear, anxiety, or deja vu.
TYPES OF SEIZURES
FOCAL SEIZURE: This is caused due to abnormal activity in one particular area of your brain. It can occur with or without any loss of consciousness.
- With the loss of consciousness: During this type of Seizure, one completely loses consciousness and awareness that may feel like a daydream but is a horrible nightmare. As one might seem awake, but they don’t respond to the surroundings normally. They even make repetitive movements which include rubbing hands, unusual sounds, mouth movement, and even walking in a circle. People who experienced these kinds of seizures may not even remember they went through one.
- Without loss of consciousness: These may alter the emotions and even change the way we smell, look, feel, taste, and respond to our environment. You will experience a sudden change in feeling like you may feel angry, happy, sad without any reason. It also impacts our speaking ability, loss of body control, and even jerking of the body of arms and legs.
These are the ones that appear in all parts of the brain.
- Absence seizures: Absence Seizures or petit mal seizures are more common in children of younger age. These involve stubble body movements like lip-smacking and even eye blinking. They may occur in small events and happen around 100 times in a single day.
- Tonic seizures: They stiffens the body muscles and mainly affect the back, arms, and legs and lead to fall of ground
- Atonic seizures: These involve a loss of muscle control and may lead to sudden collapse.
- Clonic seizures: Clonic ones are associated with the repeated jerking of the body, and it mainly affects the neck area, back, arms, and both sides of the body.
- Myoclonic seizures: Sudden small interval jerks or twitches in arms and legs.
- Tonic-clonic seizures: The most tragic and horrific Seizure of them all, previously known as the Grand mal Seizures. It involves loss of consciousness, stiffening & shaking of the body, loss of bladder control, and even biting your tongue.
CAUSES of SEIZURES
There are plenty of different reasons for seizures, epilepsy being the most common one. But is not evident all the time as it may be triggered by :
- High fever, which can be directly connected with meningitis.
- Insomnia and even lack of sleep.
- Illusion such as flashy lights or moving patterns or any visual stimulants.
- Medications such as pain killers, antidepressants, or smoking therapies.
- Head trauma causes bleeding in the brain.
- Brain tumor.
- Use of illegal drugs, like cocaine.
- Alcohol overdose during times of withdrawal or extreme intoxication.
- The COVID-19 virus infection.
TREATMENT of SEIZURES
The treatment of this nerve disorder is not necessary in every case as it can be an isolated incident. Your doctor won’t start the treatment until and unless you had one or more.
The optimistic goal in seizures is to dwell out the best and the most effective way to resolve the disorder without any implication or few side effects.
MEDICATION of SEIZURE
- Treatment for this disorder involves the use of anti-seizure medications that help to cure it with minimal or no side effect. One of the more recently introduced medications that got approved by the Food and Drug Administration, cannabidiol (Epidiolex), is derived from marijuana and It’s approved to treat seizures in children age two and older.
- The goal of the medical association is to provide what is best for the patient and cause less damage. Finding the best and appropriate medication may take some time.
- There are many factors that doctors take into consideration while treating you, like your condition, frequency of seizures, age, and many more, which may affect the medication to prescribe. Your doctor will also review any other medication that you might be taking to ensure that the anti-epileptic medications won’t interact with each other.
Dietary therapy :
Following a good and healthy diet that’s high in fat and protein and low in carbohydrates, known as a ketogenic diet, has been shown to improve Seizure. The ketogenic diet is strict and can be challenging the start to follow in the first go. But it has shown some amazing results in curing seizures. These diets are still being studied.
SURGERY of SEIZURES
If all the treatments don’t work out, then the only left and best method to tore this disease down is to go for the surgery, and the best thing is that it works pretty well with the focal Seizure as they are only in one particular area of the brain. There are several types of surgery, including :