OxyContin OC 10 mg is a prolonged-release tablet which is used for the treatment of moderate to severe pain in patients with post-operative pain and cancer. The treatment of acute pain of cancer, C-Section, surgery, or medical procedures requires the use of a strong opioid painkiller (narcotic analgesic). OxyContin OC 10 mg tablets should only be used by adults over 18 years of age. OxyContin OC 10 mg is an oral administration tablet.
OxyContin is a white round shaped tablet, odorless crystalline powder which is derived from the opium alkaloid, thebaine. The 10 mg tablets of OxyContin contains the following inactive ingredients:
- Polyethylene oxide
- Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT)
- Polyethylene glycol 400
- Titanium dioxide
- Magnesium stearate
OxyContin OC 10 mg tablets also contain hydroxypropyl cellulose.
Limitations of Oxycontin OC 10 mg uses
- Because of the risk of physical and mental dependence, abuse, and misuse with opioid medicines, this medicine is only prescribed when clearly needed.
- The chances of addiction are still visible even when used as recommended. There is a significant risk of an overdose of OxyContin and death with extended-release opioid formulations.
- OxyContin 10 mg is not indicated as an as-needed analgesic.
The medication of OxyContin should only be prescribed by health care professional who is knowledgeable in the use of opioid medicines for the treatment of severe pain.
- Use the lowest effective dose of OxyContin OC 10 mg, which works, for the shortest duration with individual patient treatment goal.
- Initiate the dosage monitoring of each patient individually, logging into account the patient’s severity of pain, prior analgesic treatment experience, patient response to the first dose, and risk factors for addiction, misuse, and abuse.
- The patient should be monitored clearly for respiratory depression, especially after 24 to 72 hours of initiating the medication of OxyContin.
- The patient is advised to swallow the whole tablet with enough water to ensure complete swallowing of the tablet immediately after placing in the mouth.
- Never presoak, lick, or otherwise wet the Oxycontin OC tablet prior to placing in the mouth.
- OxyContin OC 10 mg is administrated orally every 12 hours.
- This medicine should not be used longer than prescribed.
- When the patient no longer needs the medication of OxyContin, it is advisable to lower the dose gradually to prevent the symptoms of withdrawal.
Side effects of OxyContin 10 mg
Side effects are common when the medication of OxyContin is initiated for the first time. However, many reports show that there are a few patients who used this medication and did not encounter any of its side effects. Senior patients are more prone to the side effects of OxyContin. Some of the common side effects of this medicine may include, but are not limited to:
- Life-threatening respiratory depression
- Neonatal opioid withdrawal syndrome
- Adrenal insufficiency
- Severe hypotension
- Upset stomach
- Yellowish pee
- Difficulty in bowel movement
- Mood swings
- Skipped menstruation cycle
However, these common side effects are temporary and should go over time. If these side effects become severe and do not disappear over time, consult with your health care professional, or seek emergency medical help.
- Consumption of this medicine may make you feel dizzy, do not drive any vehicle, or operate any machinery until you do not feel dizzy.
- Before taking the dosage of OxyContin, tell your doctor if you are allergic to it, or have any other allergies.
- Do not consume alcohol or any alcoholic beverage when you have a dose of this medicine.
- Do not take the medication of OxyContin if you have head injuries, asthma, breathing problem, kidney disease, or liver disease.
- Before having any surgery, tell your doctor about the products you are using, including prescription drugs.
- Older adults are more sensitive to the side effects of this medication.
- Do not use this medicine during pregnancy. Consult with your doctor for a better understanding of the safe usage of this medicine.
- Do not share your medicine with anyone. Sharing or giving away your medication is against the law.
The use of OxyContin tablets during pregnancy is not recommended at all. Usage of this medication while being pregnant can cause fatal harm to both mother and infant. The patient should consult with their health care professional for a better understanding of OxyContin harms during pregnancy. If it is used by a pregnant woman, then the newborn may have the withdrawal of OxyContin.
OxyContin Breastfeeding Warnings
The medication of OxyContin can be passed through breast milk and can cause fatal harm to the newborn. Newborn infants are sensitive to the effects of even a small amount of opioid analgesics. Infants should be monitored for withdrawal, drowsiness, and adequate weight gain exclusively breastfed infants.
Since this medication is used to treat severe pain, you are not likely to miss any of its doses. Skip the missed dose when it is time for the next dose. Do not double dose OxyContin 10 mg. Consult with your doctor for a better understanding of missed doses of OxyContin.
Store the medicine at room temperature, away from moisture, direct sunlight, and heat. Do not flush the medication in the toilet and do not store it in the kitchen. Keep a record of your remaining medicine. Do not leftover your opioid drug. It is prone to be abused.
Brilliant medicine and the services provided by this pharmacy is the best.
Using this tablet is like making yourself free from a long-term pain.
I want to use this tablet for a lifetime period.
A lovely tablet for everyone.
One of the finest tablet to consume.
Say yes to this tablet and make yourself free from your pain.
This medicine works very fast and makes sure that you make yourself free from your pain.
This tablet works so easily and fast.
A fine tablet that you can consume.
This is the pharmacy that promises a better tablet. And this tablet works very fast.
An useful medicine to relieve you from pain.