Oxycontin OC 20 mg
OxyContin OC 20 mg is a prolonged-release tablet which is prescribed for the treatment of moderate to acute pain in patients suffering from post-operative pain and cancer. Only adult patients (18 to 60 years of age) should use OxyContin OC 20 mg tablets. OxyContin OC 20 mg is an oral administration tablet. The treatment of severe pain of cancer, C-Section, surgery, or medical procedures requires the use of a strong opioid painkiller (narcotic analgesic).
OxyContin is a pink colour round shaped tablet, odourless crystalline powder which is derived from the opium alkaloid and thebaine. OxyContin OC 20 mg tablets also contain hydroxypropyl cellulose. The 20 mg tablets of OxyContin contains the following inactive ingredients:
- Polyethylene oxide
- Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT)
- Titanium dioxide
- Magnesium stearate
- Polyethene glycol 400
Limitations of Oxycontin OC 20 mg uses
- The chances of physical or mental dependence are still active even when the medication of OxyContin used as prescribed. There is a significant risk of an overdose of this medicine and death with extended-release opioid formulations.
- Because of the risk of physical and mental addiction, abuse, and misuse with opioid medicines, including OxyContin, this medicine is only prescribed when clearly needed, and symptoms could not be treated with any other medication.
- OxyContin 20 mg is not indicated as an as-needed analgesic.
OxyContin OC 20 mg Dosage information
The medication of OxyContin OC 20 mg should only be prescribed by a professional doctor or pharmacist who is knowledgeable in the use of opioid medicines, including OxyContin for the treatment of severe and acute pain.
- Use the lowest effective dose that works, of OxyContin OC 20 mg, which works, for the shortest duration with an individual patient treatment plan.
- Start the dosage monitoring of each patient individually, logging into account the patient’s cruelty of pain, recent analgesic treatment experience, patient acknowledgement to the first dose, and risk constituents for addiction, misuse, and abuse.
- The patient should be monitored clearly by professionals for respiratory depression, particularly after 24 to 72 hours of starting the medication of OxyContin OC 20 mg.
- OxyContin OC 20 mg is administrated orally every 12 hours.
- The patient is instructed to consume the whole tablet with enough water to ensure complete swallowing of the pill instantly after putting in the mouth.
- Never presoak, or otherwise wet the Oxycontin tablet before putting in the mouth.
- When the patient no longer needs this medication, it is advisable to reduce the dose steadily to prevent the symptoms of withdrawal.
- This medicine should not be used for a more extended period than prescribed.
OxyContin 20 mg side effects
The common side effects are usual when this medication is started for the first time. Senior patients (older than 60 years) are more prone to the side effects of OxyContin. However, many patients who have used this medication did not encounter any of its side effects. A few of the common side effects of OxyContin 20 mg may include, but are not limited to:
- Neonatal opioid withdrawal syndrome
- Adrenal insufficiency
- Severe hypotension
- Life-threatening respiratory depression
- Upset stomach
- Mood swings
- Skipped menstruation cycle
- Yellowish pee
- Difficulty in bowel movement
However, these common side effects of OxyContin are temporary and should disappear over time. If these side effects become severe and do not fade over time, consult with your health care professional, seek emergency medical help, or call 911.
- Before taking the dosage of OxyContin 20 mg, tell your doctor if you are allergic to it, or have any other allergies.
- Do not drink alcohol or any alcoholic beverage when you are having a dosage of this medicine.
- Taking the medication of OxyContin OC 20 mg may make you feel dizzy, do not drive any vehicle, or use any machinery until you do not feel dizzy.
- Do not take this medication if you have head injuries, asthma, breathing problem, kidney disease, or liver disease.
- Before having any surgery, tell your doctor about the products you are using, including prescription drugs.
- Older adults are more sensitive to the side effects of OxyContin 20 mg.
- Do not share your medicine with anyone. Sharing or giving away your medication is against the law.
- Do not use this medicine when you are pregnant. Consult with a professional doctor or pharmacist for a better understanding of the safe usage of this medicine.
During Pregnancy OxyContin-20mg
The consumption of OxyContin OC 20 mg tablets while being pregnant is not recommended at all. The patient should not use this medication when she is pregnant or planning to become pregnant. Usage of this medication while being pregnant can cause lethal harm to both mother and infant. The patient is advised to seek advice with a health care professional for a better understanding of OxyContin harms during pregnancy. If a pregnant woman uses it, then the newborn may have the withdrawal of OxyContin.
OxyContin While Breastfeeding, Warnings
The effects of OxyContin tablets can pass through breast milk and can cause mortal harm to the newborn. Newborn infants are more sensitive to the impact of even a small amount of opioid analgesics. This medication should be avoided when the patient is breastfeeding an infant. Consult with a professional doctor if you are breastfeeding your child while having this medication.
Since the medication of OxyContin-oc-20mg is used to treat acute pain, you are not likely to miss any of its doses. Skip the missed dose when it is time for the next dose. Do not double dose OxyContin 20 mg. Consult with your doctor for a better understanding of missed doses of OxyContin. Doubling the doses of this medication can cause an overdose of OxyContin.
Store the pills of OxyContin 20 mg at room temperature, away from moisture, water, direct sunlight, and heat. Do not flush the tablets of OxyContin in the toilet and do not store it in the kitchen. Keep a record of your remaining medicine. Do not leftover your opioid medication. It is prone to be abused.
120 pills, 180 pills, 240 pills, 300 pills, 60 pills